We’ve all been there when the pantry resembles Old Mother Hubbard’s cupboard and you’ve got visitors descending anytime soon…
Fear not! Because my easy to bake Old Fashioned Roll-Out Cakes will not only have your kitchen smell deliciously welcoming, more than fill a biscuit tin and ultimately make guests think you’re a domestic goddess.
My Old Fashioned Roll-Out Cakes are a glorious cross between a biscuit, a cake and a scone and they can be enjoyed fresh out of the oven, split and spread with butter or when a day old dunked in tea just like a traditional biscuit!
The weight of your 2 eggs in – Self Raising Flour, Sugar & Butter
A few generous handfuls of mixed dried fruit or glace cherries or whatever you happen to have spare.
A teaspoon of vanilla essence
A teaspoon of mixed spice
Enough milk to combine into a soft dough, plus a little extra to glaze.
- Preheat oven to a moderate heat of 180°c/350°f/Gas 4
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl, drop in butter and rub in just as if you’re making pastry.
- When you’ve reached the breadcrumb looking stage, toss in sugar, mixed fruit (or whatever additions you choose) not forgetting the mixed spice and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs and vanilla essence together with a large splash of milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine gently together with your hands into a soft pastry-like dough adding more milk if the mixture appears too dry or extra flour if it seems little wet.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead very gently for a few moments, then roll out to the thickness of your finger and cut into rounds, reforming and rolling again as necessary.
- Place rounds onto a lightly buttered baking sheet and after giving them a lick of milk to glaze place onto the top shelf of your preheated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown before removing from the oven onto a wire rack to cool.
- I think these cakes are best eaten fresh & whole on the day of baking (a bit like scones), but if you must – store in an airtight container and enjoy the next day split & spread with butter.
And don’t forget these Old Fashioned Roll Out Cakes will happily pass the dunk test!
Try some more of my home baking recipes and ideas straight from my Cornish kitchen to yours!