In the warm summer months everyone loves to eat lighter and perhaps even a little healthier, but if you’re anything like me come the end of July I’ve fallen out of love with traditional salads…
This is my alternative to a boring old plate of ice berg; a tasty Mediterranean rustic style warm salad which can easily be changed to suit you; swap mackerel for salmon, lentils for cous-cous or add your own mix of veg; I use up whatever I happen to have a glut of in my greenhouse!
To feed 2 adults a hearty feast you will need:
To set your oven to a medium hot heat – 180/350/gas 4
a baking tray and some tin foil
a few glugs of oil
enough green lentils to feed 2 adults
2/3 cloves of peeled garlic (or to taste)
a pack of smoked mackerel
2 courgettes (zucchini) roughly chopped into bite sized pieces
2 handfuls of whole cherry tomatoes (about 10)
2 handfuls of mushrooms roughly chopped into bite sized pieces
2 peppers any colour, roughy chopped into bite sized pieces
1 bay leaf (optional) and plenty of seasoning with black pepper & a shake of sea salt.
- Slosh a couple of glugs of oil onto your tray and roll the peeled cloves of garlic around in the oil releasing their flavour (or you could just use garlic oil, but where’s the fun in that?!)
- Again with your hands, toss all the prepared veg & bay leaf if using with the garlicky oil, season and pop on the top shelf of the oven for around 1/2 an hour.
- After 1/2 an hour has passed, mix the roasting veg around with a spoon and put back in the oven for another 20 minutes or so… check on them so they don’t burn; you’re aiming for charred, not cremated.
- You now should have a tray full of beautifully garlic roasted vegetables – set to one side for a moment in a warm place, or just cover with the tin foil….
- Remove mackerel from it’s packaging and carefully place 4 fillets skin side up on top of your garlic roasted veg.
- Return tray to the oven for another 2o minutes or so; enough for the fish to heat through and the skin to singe a little.
- As you wait; cook the green lentils as per pack instructions (usually in salted boiling water on hob for 20 minutes)
- When you are ready to serve – drain lentils and arrange on a plate, cover with garlic roasted veg and top off with mackerel. Enjoy
In my opinion food tastes better outdoors – so if possible dine alfresco and accompany your fishy feast with a glass of chilled vino!