Don’t y’all just love that title? (said using my best Dolly impersonation)
I mean it’s not every day y’all title an article ‘Dolly Parton’s Snickerdoodles‘ is it?! (okay, I’ll stop it now & go back to my regular voice)
The delightfully effervescent Dolly Parton recently played to a mahoosive crowd on the famed Pyramid Stage at this years Glastonbury Festival and my eldest son was lucky enough to actually be there in that crowd and was no doubt singing along to ‘Jolene’ whilst I was here at home in my kitchen in Cornwall listening intently on the radio…umm, when did I become the old fuddy-duddy that’s left at home wondering what to bake next?!
Anyways…listening to Dolly talk in her gentle lilting Southern twang through the radio made me think of a cook book I’d been given as a Christmas gift last year by my dear friends David & Kim (who actually live in Tennessee), and ultimately made me think it was high time I got cooking – Tennessee Mountain Home Cooking that is (Whoops, I slipped back into Dolly again there for a moment!).
I’ll be honest, I was all set to bake the beautifully named confection Forgotten Kisses – but somebody in my family who shall remain nameless ate the vital ingredient – chocolate.
So, I baked – Snickerdoodles instead.
4oz or 1/2 cup soft butter
4oz or 1/2 cup shortening – I used Trex
12oz or 1 1/2 cups castor sugar
12oz or 2 1/4 cups plain flour
2 table spoons castor sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 200 deg c /400 deg f/gas 6 & grease baking sheets
- Beat together by hand or with an electric mixer – butter, shortening (Trex), 1 1/2 cups sugar, and eggs until smooth.
- Blend flour in by hand until you have a stiff, but pliable dough.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls (or larger if you wish; see pictures)
- Mix together is a shallow dish 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Roll the dough balls in the mixture and place well spaced on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and quickly hide from the children.
If you aren’t lucky enough to have good friends in Tennessee you can purchase Dollywood presents Tennessee Mountain Home Cooking from Amazon.com
Delighted to be a small part of #brilliantblogposts & #tastytuesdays hosted by Honest Mum
Too close together!